|Maxxum Standard||Riptide Maxxum|
Looking for a new bow mount trolling motor for your boat? Whether you’re heading out into freshwater or contemplating a day in a saltwater environment, Minn Kota Maxxum family of trolling motors has something to offer.
What can you expect with these motors, other than Minn Kota’s exceptional reliability and quality? We’ll run through both options to help you choose the best trolling motor for your needs.
Both models available with foot and hand control options.
1. Maxxum Trolling Motor
The standard Minn Kota Maxxum trolling motor is designed for use in freshwater.
The standard Minn Kota Maxxum bowmount trolling motor is an excellent option for any medium-sized boat, and delivers the features and capabilities that you need as well as some important benefits and advantages over other models on the market.
1. One of the unique advantages is the integration of Minn Kota’s Bowguard 360 Breakaway Mount® system. The mount breaks away on impact, and then automatically resets so that you can get back to it as soon as possible. The mount also detaches.
2. Another interesting benefit here is the unique heel/toe cable steering system integrated with this trolling motor. It allows you to control the motor with your toe and heel, leaving your hands free to use your pole or for other chores. Change your speed, or even turn the motor on and off with just a tap.
3. Minn Kota offers the company’s highly praised Digital Maximizer™ technology with the Maxxum. This system manages your batteries to ensure up to a 5 times increase in use life.
4. Like most other Minn Kota motors, you also enjoy 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds.
5. An illuminated directional indicator that tells you where you’re going no matter the light level or weather,
6. The Weedless Wedge™ prop design that helps you power through aquatic plant life that might otherwise wrap around the shaft.
Speaking of the shaft, you get the benefit of a composite material with a lifetime guarantee. Choose between 42 and 52 inches.
- 55, 70 and 80 available with a 52 inch shaft, 24v system
- option of a 42 inch shaft for 70 and 80 lb thrust models
‘The Maxxum is a good choice for a medium-sized boat’
2. The Riptide Maxxum
The Riptide Maxxum brings the features and benefits of the freshwater Maxxum design to a saltwater setting. However this isn’t just a clone of the other motor with some corrosion resistant materials. It’s a very different beast.
1.You’ll find 3 composite shaft lengths on offer. 42 inches, 52 inches, and 62 inches.
2.Choose between a 12-volt, 55 lbs system and a 24-volt, 70 lbs setup.
3.A latch and door bracket holds your motor rock steady, as well as a tilt/extend tiller setup.
4.Speeds: 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds
5.The motor’s lower housing is designed to withstand the rigors of use in a saltwater environment, built with corrosion resistant materials, and finished with a lifetime of use in mind.
6.Like the freshwater version the Riptide Maxxum comes with a 2 year warranty and a lifetime guarantee on the composite shaft.
Note: It lacks the unique Bowguard 360 Breakaway Mount® system. However generally this isn’t a negative for saltwater fishing.
While it might not include all the bells and whistles found with the freshwater-specific Maxxum, the Riptide Maxxum is a 55lb thrust saltwater trolling motor provides great power and handling.
In the end, the Minn Kota Maxxum trolling motor offers plenty of power and performance. The freshwater model’s unique breakaway mount system offers significant benefits, as well.